Hey Everyone! Happy Sunday and happy May! 🙂
Today’s post is a MUST read if you love multi-use products; coconut is pretty much a cure all.
If you’re interested in hearing about the 5 ways that I use coconut oil, just keep on reading!
First off, I’ll tell you a little about the coconut oil that I am using right now. This one pictured here is from Kirkland Signature and was purchased at my local Costco. This was actually a duo pack and was being sold for $20 for (2) 42 oz. tubs, which is a great deal in my opinion. If you can’t find this particular one, no worries; however, I do recommend that when buying coconut oil, try to buy one that is organic and unrefined. Unrefined, usually labeled as virgin, is the better alternative meaning that it is raw coconut without the addition of other chemicals. Due to the fact that I bought two tubs, one gets stored in the kitchen for cooking purposes & the other one is stored in the guest bathroom to use on anything & everything else that does not go into your tummy. You can pretty much use coconut oil for anything– have a scar that needs healing? Apply some coco oil! Are your elbows and knees extremely dry & flaking? Apply & moisturize with some coco oil! Are you getting the jist here? It’s a MIRACLE product & it’s time for you to join the bandwagon.
- Makeup Remover: Use coconut oil to remove your eye makeup & face makeup… it is incredibly gentle on your eyes and face. After I remove my makeup with coconut oil, I still take a makeup wipe and make sure I don’t have residue, then I go in with a cleanser & my Clarisonic… clean skin for the win.
- Face & Body: Apply on your lips, face, body, etc. to moisturize dry skin.
- Hair Mask: If silky smooth hair is your thing, take 2-6 tablespoons of coconut oil & apply to your hair like you would with any other hair mask. I suggest applying bottom-up, so start at your ends & work your way up… your ends have been through the most & they need some extra TLC. I have thicker hair, so I like to apply the coconut oil, put a shower cap on & then aim the blow dryer with high heat on my hair for about 5-10 minutes. It’s like giving yourself salon treatment without having to pay a lot of money. Stylists will usually put you under the dryer so that it can penetrate & really work into your hair… now you can save time & money while doing this at the comfort of your own home. You can also leave the coconut oil on your hair overnight and then rinse it off with warm water the next morning.
- Cooking Oil: For cooking, definitely use the unrefined coconut oil.. this one is the one for you! I love using coconut oil as a substitute for vegetable oil. Coconut oil remains stable at high temperatures, so it is great to use when stir frying and/or pan-searing. Side note: I just made thai curry with chicken last week and I used it to cook the chicken.. yum! You can also use coconut oil when baking too… use the coconut oil as a dairy free replacement for butter!
- Body Scrub: if you mix equal parts of coconut oil & sugar, you can make a really great body exfoliating scrub.. can even be used on your lips too!
I hope you found this post helpful & if you have not used coconut oil before, now would be a great time to go out & get some. If you are already using coconut oil, let me know what you use it for in the comments below. I hope you learned something new & found my tricks useful! Thanks for reading!